U21 – Poster and Vintage Photo Design

Tuesday, 23. August 2011

Birthday present.

A poster of U21 – a 1952 ½ ton truck.

Poster of U21 - a 1952 GMC ½ Ton Truck

Photos and design by me – Simon Holm List.

A vintage photo design of U21.

Vintage Photo of U21 - a 1952 GMC ½ Ton Truck

Photo and design by me – Simon Holm List.

Advertisements

Installing Heads and Meassuring Pushrod Length

Friday, 16. July 2010

My newly washed aluminum MoTown heads with new and stiffer springs are now back on the block. They were installed today so I could measure the length of the pushrods required for my new solid roller cam.

Installing Heads

If you need to find out the length of the pushrods required for your valvetrain, Geometry Lesson by Jeff Smith on carcraft.com is a good article to read.

If you need the torque specs when you are bolting your US-engine together, you can find them among other things at boxwrench.net.


New Parts Arrived Today

Friday, 4. September 2009

New parts from summitracing.com and up22.com arrived today. From Summit came my new camshaft, which I have carefully selected with tech support from Summit and Comp Cams. It came along with a lot of other very nice parts as you can see in the picture. I am of course looking forward to have all the goodies installed and find out how my new valve train performs. But it will be a while before I get that far, I have some rust issues and other things to deal with first.

New Parts - Camshaft, etc.

From up22.com came my fiber glass trunk lid with spoiler, rear bumper and two front inner fenders. I wish I had googled up22.com before I ordered, in my opinion their products are not of high quality. I have checked the trunk lid and it needs a lot of work and trimming before it can be fitted. I should have ordered from vfnfiberglass.com or glasstek.com instead.


Engine Rebuild – part 1

Thursday, 16. July 2009

Friday evening Michael pulled the engine so it was ready for me to work on. I started to take it apart Saturday morning and everything went fine. It quickly became evident that the cam shaft and lifters needed to be replaced. Both the intake and exhaust lobes on the cam had been worn quite heavily on cylinder number six.

Taking Out the Engine
Stripping the Engine
Yanking the engine. Stripping the engine.
Engine Parts All Over the Floor
Bottom of Engine
Engine parts all over the floor. The bottom of the engine is looking good.

 

This week I spent cleaning the engine, painting it and checking it for wear and tear. Mechanically, everything seems to be fine and I only need to change the cam and lifters. That is until I decided to get a solid (mechanical) roller cam instead of a hydraulic flat tappet.

Some of the things I did this week:

Intake Manifold Needs to Be "Ported"
Intake Manifold "Ported"
As you can see in the first picture the intake manifold has some leftover aluminum from the casting and it should be grinded. The leftover aluminum is removed in the second picture and it was quite easy to remove.
Valve Covers Painted
Engine Block Ready for Paint
The valve covers have been painted. The engine block is ready for paint.
Engine Block Painted
Engine Block Painted
The engine block has just been painted and it now has the color I wanted it to have from the beginning.
Intake Manifold Ready for Paint
Intake Manifold Painted
The intake manifold is cleaned and ready for paint. Freshly painted intake manifold.

See all the pictures.


Dead Weight

Wednesday, 20. May 2009

The engine in my Camaro engine is not breathing the way it should and is therefore a bit exhausted.

For some time I have felt that the engine was lacking power. And after doing a 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) test the car was a whole second slower that it used to be. Later a knocking sound could come and go untill the beginning of this week the knocking sound would stay when pushing it only a bit.

A quick check of the engine reviled that the exhaust valve on cylinder #6 is not opening as much as it should. So either the cam, the lifter or the push rod or all of them need to be changed.

Another thing I found looking through the engine:

Torn Distributor Weights

The weights in the distributor have been torn by the pins that hold them and you could easily move them from side to side and up and down. Not something I have seen before.


What Have Been Done Lately

Monday, 4. May 2009

My old battery was not performing well anymore so it was time to get a new one. I wanted to get one with high cranking power so the Optima RedTop battery seemed to be a good choice. And it was, the Optima sure does have a lot of cranking power!

I also installed four new ball joints, a drive shaft loop for safety, a few wires under the carpet and then I changed the oil, the oil filter and the spark plugs.

Parts Changed/Installed

The New Parts