Engine Rebuild – part 1

Thursday, 16. July 2009

Friday evening Michael pulled the engine so it was ready for me to work on. I started to take it apart Saturday morning and everything went fine. It quickly became evident that the cam shaft and lifters needed to be replaced. Both the intake and exhaust lobes on the cam had been worn quite heavily on cylinder number six.

Taking Out the Engine
Stripping the Engine
Yanking the engine. Stripping the engine.
Engine Parts All Over the Floor
Bottom of Engine
Engine parts all over the floor. The bottom of the engine is looking good.

 

This week I spent cleaning the engine, painting it and checking it for wear and tear. Mechanically, everything seems to be fine and I only need to change the cam and lifters. That is until I decided to get a solid (mechanical) roller cam instead of a hydraulic flat tappet.

Some of the things I did this week:

Intake Manifold Needs to Be "Ported"
Intake Manifold "Ported"
As you can see in the first picture the intake manifold has some leftover aluminum from the casting and it should be grinded. The leftover aluminum is removed in the second picture and it was quite easy to remove.
Valve Covers Painted
Engine Block Ready for Paint
The valve covers have been painted. The engine block is ready for paint.
Engine Block Painted
Engine Block Painted
The engine block has just been painted and it now has the color I wanted it to have from the beginning.
Intake Manifold Ready for Paint
Intake Manifold Painted
The intake manifold is cleaned and ready for paint. Freshly painted intake manifold.

See all the pictures.


Dead Weight

Wednesday, 20. May 2009

The engine in my Camaro engine is not breathing the way it should and is therefore a bit exhausted.

For some time I have felt that the engine was lacking power. And after doing a 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) test the car was a whole second slower that it used to be. Later a knocking sound could come and go untill the beginning of this week the knocking sound would stay when pushing it only a bit.

A quick check of the engine reviled that the exhaust valve on cylinder #6 is not opening as much as it should. So either the cam, the lifter or the push rod or all of them need to be changed.

Another thing I found looking through the engine:

Torn Distributor Weights

The weights in the distributor have been torn by the pins that hold them and you could easily move them from side to side and up and down. Not something I have seen before.