Friday evening Michael pulled the engine so it was ready for me to work on. I started to take it apart Saturday morning and everything went fine. It quickly became evident that the cam shaft and lifters needed to be replaced. Both the intake and exhaust lobes on the cam had been worn quite heavily on cylinder number six.
Yanking the engine.
Stripping the engine.
Engine parts all over the floor.
The bottom of the engine is looking good.
This week I spent cleaning the engine, painting it and checking it for wear and tear. Mechanically, everything seems to be fine and I only need to change the cam and lifters. That is until I decided to get a solid (mechanical) roller cam instead of a hydraulic flat tappet.
Some of the things I did this week:
As you can see in the first picture the intake manifold has some leftover aluminum from the casting and it should be grinded. The leftover aluminum is removed in the second picture and it was quite easy to remove.
The valve covers have been painted.
The engine block is ready for paint.
The engine block has just been painted and it now has the color I wanted it to have from the beginning.
The intake manifold is cleaned and ready for paint.